Friday 11 February 2011

The throwaway paintings

For nine days I have been painting quick, small paintings on sheets of A4 printer paper. The idea was to free me up, to get me painting enough to stop worrying about what I was painting and just paint. This then would help me move forwards, to try to get to the place I have been fighting my way towards for the last year and some.

I made thirty paintings over these nine days. The biggest challenge, in some ways, has been to try not to think of this as a series. My brain works that way, is always trying to make connections, looking at the continuing narrative. Trying to disconnect that impulse was not all that successful, although I did manage a few times. I'm still to close to these pieces to look objectively. A few of them I quite like, a few I really don't.

Throwaway paintings from stewart bremner on Vimeo.


There has been a lot of art thinking and art talking this week. I know I'm still not there yet, not at the point that I need to be at, but I'm getting closer. What I need to do now is keep on moving. Right now, the best way to do that seems to be to continue to make throwaway paper paintings. I might, however, change the scale. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment