Friday 7 October 2011

Not so hidden now

Who I am
© Stewart Bremner 2011
Mixed media on board, 8x8"
Until last weekend, it did not seem that I had done all that much work since I arrived in Fayetteville. Last weekend, however, with Megan Chapman's help I tidied up the studio I am visiting at the Fayetteville Underground and was able to make it into a temporary exhibition space for First Thursday. Once the walls were painted, the lights sorted and my work hung, I realised just how much work I've done here. It was kind of staggering seeing it all. I've made 20 new paintings as part of my Hidden Messages series and while the largest is only 16x20" that is still a lot of work.

Sitting here in the studio surrounded by that work, as well as the series, A question of chemistry, (with Megan) and six of the Iteration/span photos (with Craig Munro) feels great. Other than the Life is the process paintings (three of which are showing in the Found Gallery in Dunbar right now), this has been my year and it has been quite a year. I feel like I've really achieved something.

Let go
© Stewart Bremner 2011
Mixed media on board, 8x8"
Last night at the First Thursday opening, I had three hours of conversations about the work. It was great fun to engage with people who were genuinely interested in both my work and who I was.

THIS JUST IN
This morning I was invited to be part of a two-man show with artist Kevin Low at Union Gallery in April 2012. I can't even begin to express how excited I am by this. Please do head over to their Union Gallery's Facebook page right now and friend them. They are lovely people!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. This is brilliant work and news. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Stewart!
    That is really good going!

    ReplyDelete